Tuesday, February 12, 2008

seven random things about me

I too have been tagged by Brian for the seven-times-seventy meme!

hmm... let's see if i can raise some eyebrows.... (except for you amanda, you know all!)

1. i only took 2nd grade math for a month or two. no, i didn't get held back! i took a placement test which allowed me to take 3rd grade math as a 2nd grader. this only lasted two years. the powers that be said no more once i hit 4th grade because i wouldn't be able to go to the middle school for math as a 5th grader (md elementary school was k-5, middle school 6-8).

2. i ran track in high school. my 4x800m relay team was a shoo-in to place at the regional track meet, granting us a bid in the state meet. i had no idea what was going on when an official at the start line disqualified my relay team. i had forgotten to take my cross necklace off (no jewelry allowed in hs sports!) i fell to the ground in a heap of tears. not only did i lose my only chance to qualify for states, but also my three teammates.

4. when i was a kiddo i discharged a unflavored piece of gum in a neighbors yard. a day or two later that same neighbor mowed his grass. i looked out the window and noticed he stopped and looked down at the grass line along the road. i wonder what he was looking at!

5. i tore my acl and both meniscuses in september of 2002. the er doc advised me i merely sprained my knee. i continued to play various sports until a friend told me to see a sports doc in january of 2003. i eventually got surgery 5 months after the original injury. that's what happens when you take the advice of doc that asks you "what time of the day is it?"

6. i've met the following "famous" people in person: newsboys, the w's (i have a pic somewhere with bret... he gave me a piece of cheese), smalltown poets, supertones (was completely star struck when i met jason carson), and bradi chastain and michelle akers from the womens us national soccer team.

7. instead of diligently studying in college, i learned how to play spades, euchre, pinochle, up and down the river, and countless other card games.

6 comments:

Scott said...

How did you tear up your knee? Were you another the in the long, storied list of Messiah rec sport casualties?

kt said...

i feel sick for you over the regional track meet...from my experience in hs volleyball, basketball, and softball, the officials always had everyone check themselves for jewelry before the game (b/c it was considered a matter of safety). i never saw it be used as criteria for disqualification or ejection--especially if it was found before starting the competition. did you see this happen other times in track meets?

which leg did you run in the relay?

we need to have a euchre party!

Amanda said...

I didn't remember that about the track meet! :(

Great memories, seester!

sarah said...

scott: i was not a rec sport casualty! but i think i'd prefer that story. i was being a show off at the Messiah roller skating night. i rolled onto the side of the wheel; my legs landed flat out in front of me. the "ref"'s advice was "pop it back in"!

kt: a meet officials did warn us (or so i'm told), but i was in such a zone i didn't hear. i was wearing extra clothes to keep my muscles warm in "the pit"; my shirt hid my necklace. i don't remember an athlete in any sport being disqualified. usually an official/ref would tell the athlete directly.
i ran the 2nd leg (yes, the slow one!).
i would definitely be up for a euchre party!

amanda: you didn't know about the track fiasco! there's more to the story, but i'll have to tell you later!

Scott said...

Heh, yeah, a rec sports injury would be a better story than shredding your knee up while roller skating. I have a roller skating accident in my past as well, got leaned over too far, fell forward and landed on my face, broke one of my front teeth in half. Of course, I was 9 at the time... The better story for me is how I broke my nose at marching band practice.

So, as someone who has played sports with a shredded knee, would you say that LaDanian Tomlinson was being a wimp when he couldn't go against the Pats?

Anonymous said...

Do share about the track incident, tsk tsk tsk, the things I learn about my children online!

Love ya,