Friday, June 27, 2008

my favorite frosh is leaving...

as most of you know, i'm a hardcore maryland athletics fan. in the fall i root for the field hockey team, in the winter it's all basketball, and in the spring i read lacrosse articles. the womens basketball team freshman class was stacked this year. i decided to root for kat lyons; she was the lowest ranked player by hoopgurlz (now run by espn...boo, i'm not a fan as of yet) but verbally committed as a sophomore in high school because Maryland was her dream school. how could you not love the die hard fan/underdog player??? she had a good first year showing, but i wondered why she didn't play as much at the end of the season. well, i believe that question was answered when i read she was released from the team. to be honest, i was a little disappointed. i was looking forward to seeing her progress over the next three years in this program. from what i've read, she wanted to play more of a slashing small forward than the shooting two guard. to be honest, that ideal was a little far fetched until marissa graduated. you can't expect to come in and play the position of a preseason all american! i'll still be a fan of kat, but i'll have to cheer for her as a red fox. she won't get to officially play with rising senior j viani, but Marist could be dangerous when kat hits the floor with reigning maac player of the year r fitz. good luck, kat!

14 comments:

Scott said...

I'd love to leave an insightful comment here, but I can't even fake an interest in D-I women's basketball.

Amanda said...

lol. I got nuthin' either.

Except maybe, "I like Maryland" in a bright and cheery voice. :D

Scott said...

I can't even do that. Maryland (the college) is evil.

sarah said...

scott... boo hiss! *scowl

Scott said...

I'm sorry, but really, I'm not;-)

I'm a Duke basketball fan, and I have a hard time forgetting the fact that Maryland students have pelted the team (and more sinisterly, the mothers of a couple players) with various objects throughout the number of years. I'm all for heated rivalries, but that crosses the line.

On another note, it seems you "boo hiss" me rather frequently on this blog (at least relative to how often it happens to other posts). I hope they are affectionate "boo hiss"'s.

sarah said...

scott: i have not heard of these alleged peltings, but i assure that i have never participated in such acts. (not to say those blue devils didn't deserve it.. haha.. what can you expect for a "devil"!)

sorry for all the "boo hiss" replies, but not really... hehe **runs away :D

Scott said...

Heh, alleged? They were on national TV, at least the players getting pelted was. Most famous was after a game in 2001 where Jason Williams led Duke back from 10 down with about a minute to go to force an overtime, in which Duke won.

And I'm fully aware that I'm holding the actions of a few knuckleheads against the entire school and its fanbase, but that's how I roll.

Anonymous said...

Your sports enthusiasm is evident here. I am with Scott and Amanda, I have no real sports commentary to make as my knowledge of basketball consists of getting the large orange ball into a net that is way to high for the average height person. So I leave the bantering to those who have the knowledge and I will sit back and enjoy the tete a teta between you and Scott...:-)

mwh said...

I'm realizing there's a whole athletic sub-culture here of which I'm completely unaware and not fluent in. :-)

It would be hard to play second fiddle for two or three years, always taking the backseat to someone else.

sarah said...

scott: i think that game was the first and only time i thought i'd be physically ill from watching a sporting event! what a disaster. since that game some ten years ago, i never feel comfortable until the buzzer sounds. blah!

i just have this final word: steve blake catches jason williams sleeping!!!!!

Scott said...

I would have thought the Final Four game that year where Duke won by 11 after being down 22 in the first half would have evoked similar feelings...

sarah said...

scott: hmm.. well, to be honest i repressed that particular memory. i had to go to md's athletic website. now i vividly remember that evening and remember why i forgot it (sports aside!). :) i do remember feeling "i can't believe this is happening again." the process was grueling and slow and i never felt comfortable the entire game, despite the lead. the previous game prepared me (perhaps prophetic like) for that disturbing saturday night. thanks for these wonderful reminders/memories...

Scott said...

I do what I can. It's not good to keep these things repressed :-)

My biggest memory (other than the games) from that weekend was throwing my roommate's girlfriend out of our apartment at the beginning of the championship game because she was rooting for Arizona just to get under my skin - which she was obviously successful at! I like to think I've mellowed since then.

sarah said...

scott: :D