Tuesday, January 29, 2008

why is it always white?

okay, so i was forewarned. it's cold in indiana. there's lake effect snow. but honestly, is it always white? is there now sight of grass until may? i don't think i could have ever imagined the cold and storm spells that have been ripping through this winter. never have i seen such a massive, consistent snow accumulation in my life. as a native middle of the east coast girl, fear definitely gets the better of me on windy, snowy, icy drives. it's quite frightening. the only conciliation is y'all (yes, i said y'all) actually know how to drive in these conditions. i think maryland/south central pennslyvania would push for a state of emergency if slammed with similar weather. harrisburg would be bankrupt (last winter the budget was so bad, news reports were stating if it snowed more than 8 inches the city would be bankrupt)! despite the hilarity of a "hurry let's run to the grocery store before we get the 3 inches of snow predicted" persona, i miss it terribly. i miss not having to scrape my car every morning; i miss cold being 30 degrees; i miss having an excuse not to leave the house because your road wasn't plowed.
why is this phenomenon called the midwest?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

LOL

Seriously, though, I'm still not quite used to it. (Although, driving home during that huge snow storm taught me some lessons!) But, man, the summers here usually feel awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I guess you no longer like the song..."Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!" I guess the east coast does have its perks! I feel your anxiety, but I do have to laugh at your post. As always your sense of humor continues to make me laugh. Drive safely daughter dear....MOM